When is the best time to move?
Take all factors into consideration when deciding on the best time for you to move. Keep in mind, however, that the summer months (mid-May to mid-September) and the beginning and end of each month (regardless of the season) are particularly busy for moving companies and may require more flexibility and advanced scheduling.
How do I determine which moving companies to contact?
Ask your neighbors, friends, coworkers and family members if they can make recommendations. Investigate each of the movers you select with the Better Business Bureau. Good service is the best measure of a good mover.
When should I contact moving companies for estimates?
Try to provide moving companies with as much notice as possible, especially if you are moving during the summer months. We recommend at least four to six weeks before your desired moving date. This will increase your likelihood of securing the pickup and delivery dates you desire.
What happens when a relocation consultant comes to my home?
The relocation consultant will arrive at your home to perform a visual survey of your items. The consultant must be able to clearly see what is being moved in order to provide you with an accurate estimate. If you know of items that are out of view or will be eliminated, be certain to point them out to the consultant. Once the visual survey is completed, the consultant will calculate the weight, packing cost and any other charges related to your move.
Household Moving Tips
Preparing For The Move
- Have a garage sale. Get rid of everything you don’t need before you move.
- Get organized now. Don’t wait until the last minute. Make list of things you need to do and when.
- Make sure you are ready for the packers and movers. Don’t forget to do the laundry, wash the dishes, pack your suitcases, disconnect computers, stereos and VCRs.
- Set aside those items that you will be taking with you and clearly mark them as Do Not Pack.
- Arrange to close your accounts at your local bank and opens accounts in your new hometown.
- Obtain a change-of-address kit from your post office or go to https://moversguide.usps.com
- Drain the gas and oil from all your power equipment (lawnmower, edger, etc.)
- Schedule house cleaning and other home services for the day after loading.
- Have your utilities shut off the day after loading (gas, electric, telephone, etc)
- Make your travel arrangements for the day after loading. In case of weather delays or other unforeseen problems, you wouldn’t want to miss a flight or other travel related appointment.
- Before the moving truck leaves for your destination, give the driver your phone numbers where you can be reached. It is also a good idea to get the driver’s cell phone number.
- Be aware of items that can’t be moved with the mover.
These items include:
- Flammable Items
- Combustible Items
- Aerosol cans
- Hazardous Materials
- Ammunitions and Explosives
- Legal Documents (wills, financial papers, insurance documents, etc.)
When using a mover, remember that you are the customer and the boss. If you have any concerns at all, contact your move coordinator immediately.
Contact us today for a FREE moving quote! 866-275-2011.
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS SAY
I loved that the same guys who packed my things were the ones who delivered them too. They were courteous, on time, respectful, very careful with my house, the walls and everything. They put down liners and protectors and wrapped my furniture really well.
The things that we liked most about Nor-Cal was: your professionalism from Angela, Dan and the crews in both San Leandro and Denver were always very careful and thorough in handling our belongings.
I liked that all of the employees were professional and attempted to work out any of the issues we had concerning the move. All went well. I believe communication is the most important aspect of the move process, and NAVL did all of that!
NC Moving & Storage did a great job with my recent relocation. The movers were friendly and highly efficient throughout the entire relocation process. Would definitely recommend them to all my family and friends. Thanks!