As exciting as it is to start afresh after a move, the whole process can also be very stressful and overwhelming too. Ensure your upcoming relocation is ultra-efficient and as trouble-free as possible with the following change of address checklist from our local movers at NCMSS. As well, our professionals also provide a few helpful suggestions to simplify your big day.
4 to 6 Weeks Pre-Move
- Contact the post office and arrange to have your mail forwarded to your new address.
2 to 3 Weeks Pre-Move
- Pick up moving supplies and boxes.
- Call to transfer the phone line to your new place.
- Clean out your space and drop off items you don’t need at the dump or a charity.
- Dispose of caustic cleaners, old paint, and other household chemicals properly by bringing them to a Toxic Waste Center.
- Contact the cable company to arrange for the return of any cable equipment.
Update your contact information with the following businesses:
- Bank Account
- Credit Cards
- Driver’s license
- Health cards
- Magazine subscriptions and other mailings
- Other Memberships
Here are a few more considerations before your move:
- Make reservations and travel arrangements, if need be.
- Notify your child(ren)’s school and transfer their records.
- Register your child(ren) at their new school.
- Get copies of dental and medical records.
- Get copies of veterinary records if you have pets.
- Arrange to transfer license plates and car insurance.
8 to 14 Days Pre-Move
- Dispose of all flammable materials properly, at the correct facilities.
- Coordinate moving major appliances.
- Arrange the disconnection and reconnection of utilities from old to new house.
2 to 7 Days Pre-Move
- Figure out what you’ll be bringing with you if travelling by bus, train, plane or car.
- Pack an overnight bag with basics, enough for one or two days, such as toiletries, medication, and clothes.
- Prepare a separate box with essential items you’ll need to keep with you for your first few days, and mark it clearly with a sign that says, “Do Not Move.”
The Day Before the Move
- Clean your stove; Empty, defrost, and clean your fridge.
- Pack your personal items – except for your alarm clock – bedding, jewelry, and any other necessary clothing.
- Take down curtains and curtain rods.
On Moving Day
- Keep any paperwork you may need nearby.
- Hand over the keys to the landlord, new owner or put them in a safe place.
- Perform a final walkthrough to ensure you’ve packed everything.
Still looking for local movers? NCMSS provides quality, efficient transfers at cost-effective prices. Call us today to find out more about how we can help you.